In 5-7 pages
Retribution is the belief that offenders should be punished by inflicting the same amount of pain on the offender as was inflicted onto the victim. Rehabilitation is the belief that social, spiritual, and biological influences should be addressed for each offender to make him or her a productive member of society. In this assignment, it is your responsibility to prepare an analysis of 5â€“7 pages on the arguments for treatment or punishment of offenders in dealing with the social problem of crime.
- Address the following in your analysis of 5â€“7 pages on the different rationales for various treatments and punishments.
- What are 3 specific differences between the arguments for rehabilitation and retribution? Explain.
- What are 3 specific similarities between the arguments for rehabilitation and retribution? Explain.
- Examine 2 of the social arguments used to support both positions.
- What are 3 specific philosophical or social issues that could be used to support your analysis?
- Your analysis must contain at least 4 references using APA style.
In 4-6 paragraphs
When sentencing an offender, a judge must evaluate a number of different variables to impose an appropriate course of punishment or treatment. Using the textbook, library, Internet, or Web resources, research the variables that should be considered at the time an offender is sentenced to ensure that justice is served. Please discuss 5 variables.
- In 4â€“6 paragraphs, address the following:
- What are 5 variables evaluated by judicial authorities to sentence offenders?
- Which variable do you feel is the most important for correctly sentencing offenders? Explain.
- Which variable do you feel is the least important for correctly sentencing offenders? Explain.
- Are there any variables that you do not feel should be used when sentencing offenders? Why or why not?