Assignment 2: Analyzing a Major Issue
Before starting the paper:
- Review the major concepts of social psychology in the textbook.
- Select a topic from the list.
- Affirmative Action (may focus on affirmative action for racial or minorities, gender, or sexual orientation)
- Bullying (may focus on school bullying or cyberbullying)
- Violence in the media
- Development and influence of gangs
- Hate crimes against gays or other minorities
- Domestic violence (may focus on married couples or dating couples)
- Locate and read at least three (3) peer reviewed articles on the issuein the Strayer Library.
- At least one (1) article should discuss the historical event(s) or legal decision(s) that make the issue a major one in the United States.
- Two (2) of the articles should have different views about causes, effects, and ways to address the issue.
Write a five to seven (5-7) page paper (1,000 to 1,200 words) in which you:
- Provide an introduction to the paper with a thesis statement.
- Describe at least three (3) key historical events and / or legal decisions that make the issue a major or important one in the U.S.
- Discuss at least three (3) social psychology concepts addressed in the course that are related to the issue.
- Analyze at least three (3) challenges individuals and law enforcement agencies face with the issue.
- Explain your agreement with at least three (3) statements by authors of the references cited.
- Explain your disagreement with at least two (2) statements by authors of the references cited.
- Recommend at least two (2) ways that individuals should address the issue to help improve social elements involved in the issue.
- Suggest at least two (2) ways those in criminal justice (police officers, prosecuting attorneys, and / or judges) should address the issue.
- Provide a conclusion to the paper that includes a reference to the thesis statement and contains a summary of the main points.
- Provide at least three (3) external peer-reviewed references to support your paper.